Transfer | Chandler-Gilbert Community College
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
CGCC logo

 International Education Program

Immigration Regulations

Please refer to links above for additional information

Transfer to Another School


A student is considered to be a transfer student when he or she leaves one U.S. institution (before or after earning a degree) to begin attendance at another U.S. institution. Please note that this does not refer to the transfer of academic credits.


  1. Student is admitted and has submitted all necessary documents to Chandler-Gilbert Community College.
  2. Student is currently maintaining his or her F-1status.
  3. The new program begins within five months of the end of the course of study at the current school or the end of the authorized optional practical training period.

Transfer must be requested no later than the end of the student's grace period; otherwise the student is considered to be "out of status" and may have to apply for reinstatement.

F-1 students: The SEVIS record has to be transferred within the 60 day grace period following the student's completion of study or practical training

Eligibility Requirements - student must have maintained lawful status by:

  1. Maintaining full-time status every semester.
  2. Making normal progress towards completing program of study.
  3. Has not engaged in unauthorized employment.
  4. Has not received notification of deportation.
  5. Submit a completed Transfer SEVIS Release from.
  6. Submit a SEVIS Transfer Request form from the transfer school.

You will need to decide which university you want to transfer to before your last semester ends at CGCC. We need to submit a transfer date and school name into SEVIS before the other school can issue you an I-20. Please make sure you begin transfer procedures at least one semester before your desired transfer semester, if not sooner. Most professional programs have application deadlines, so be sure you begin the process on time. Please check with the university of interest for more information.


All students planning to transfer to another college or university must submit a completed Transfer Out SEVIS Release from. Forms are available in the office of International Education Program office.

Student applies through the appropriate Admissions Office at the new institution. Students are given a Transfer In or Transfer Eligibility form from the new school and student must take the International student transfer form to CGCC's International Education Program (IEP) office. The IEP staff person at the student's current school enters the transfer request in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and sets the SEVIS release date. SEVIS release date is the date on which the student's nonimmigrant record will be entered into SEVIS. The SEVIS release date should be determined according to the student's circumstances and needs. Students will not be eligible to transfer unless the student is released on SEVIS. Student will be released on SEVIS once all the requirements have been submitted.