Balancing a job and your education can be tricky. But the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program makes it easier to earn money while you’re going to college.
FWS gives part-time jobs to students in financial need. But not just any job. The program encourages community service or work related to your area of study, so you can gain valuable experience, and learn while you earn.
Most jobs are right here on campus — you can’t get more convenient than that — and off-campus jobs are available through the America Reads/America Counts Program, which puts students to work as reading or math tutors at local elementary schools.
How FWS Works
Students work up to 20 hours per week under the FWS program. Employers help you arrange your work schedule around your classes, and they’re flexible enough to allow you time off for exams and other school-related duties.
You get a paycheck every two weeks. The pay varies by position, but it will be at least the federal minimum wage.
Once you’re approved for FWS, you apply and interview for a position through CGCC Career Services. Being accepted to the FWS program does not guarantee you a job, and positions are limited. For help putting together a resume and preparing for an interview, visit Career Services in the Coyote Center.
Federal Work-Study Eligibility Requirements
You may be eligible for FWS if you meet all of the following:
- Have completed a FAFSA and demonstrate financial need.
- Have a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Are enrolled as a CGCC student and are working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program.
- Are enrolled in at least six credit hours per term.
- Are a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
5 Steps to Applying for Federal Work-Study
- Apply for admission to Chandler-Gilbert Community College.
- Complete the FAFSA using the Chandler-Gilbert Community College school code (030722), and submit any requested verification documents.
- Visit the CGCC Financial Aid office at either the Pecos or Williams campus to find out if you are eligible for FWS.
- Search and apply for available positions through CGCC Career Services.
- Interview, and get hired!