The Evolve Reach (HESI) Admission Assessment Exam (A2) is a computer-based test that is used as part of the admissions process for the Nursing program at CGCC. It’s designed to assess your academic readiness in multiple areas.
Before applying, make sure you’ve reviewed the MaricopaNursing admissions requirements. In addition, we encourage you to study and prepare prior to taking the HESI A2. We also suggest you take the HESI A2 test well before you submit your nursing application. That way, if you don’t achieve the required scores, you’ll have time to study and retest. Learn more about the HESI A2 below.
The HESI A2 consists of seven modules: Math Skills, Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary and General Knowledge, Grammar, Learning Style, Personality Style, and Critical Thinking.
The Science modules in Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology, and Physics are NOT administered or used for admission to MCCCD Nursing Programs.
There are minimum HESI A2 scores required for admission to the Nursing Program. Learn more about those admissions requirements.
The HESI A2 is offered only at our Pecos Campus by appointment.
The HESI A2 will not be available during the following time periods:
- The week before classes begin and the first week of classes each semester
- The week before finals and finals week of each semester
Visit the Computer Lab for contact information and current hours.
All seven modules must be completed within a single four-hour testing session.
The HESI A2 fee is $45 and can be paid after you’ve scheduled your appointment. (There are no refunds, and the cost is subject to change.)
We do not administer non-Maricopa nursing program HESI A2 tests.
Make sure you have your 8-digit ID number and a valid photo ID.
In addition, we encourage you to create an Evolve account before your HESI A2 and to bring that account information with you as well.
Prior to your test, we encourage you to create an Evolve account. To do that, follow these steps:
- Navigate to evolve.elsevier.com.
- Click on “My Evolve” (top of page).
- Click on “Create an Account.”*
- Complete the “Create an Account” fields, using a current email account.
- Click “Submit.”
- Your username, as assigned by HESI/Evolve, will be listed on the screen. Store your username and password securely. You will need both to access the HESI A2 entrance exam and for future testing in the Nursing Program.
*If you have previously created a password, click on the “Forgot Username or Password?” link and follow the instructions.
Personal calculators are not permitted. When allowed, a calculator will appear within the testing program. Scratch paper and pencils also will be provided.
Once a student has passed the exam, results are valid for two years.
Students may retest after a 60-day waiting period. Up to two retests are permitted within one year from the date of the first valid test.
To request your official test scores be sent to an institution outside of Maricopa Community Colleges, follow these steps:
- Go to the Students Welcome page.
- Click “HESI Transcripts” in the HESI Secured Exams box on the lower right side of the screen.
- Click “Here” to download the HESI Transcript Request form.
- After downloading the form, click “Register.”
- Click “Checkout/Redeem” to continue.
- Either log in with your username and password and click “Sign In,” or register for an account with Evolve and click “Continue.”
- Enter your payment information, check the box that states “I confirm that all of the above information is correct and that I am the valid credit card holder or authorized to act on behalf of the valid credit card holder,” and click “Next.”
- Click “Checkout/Redeem” to continue.
- The last page shows a confirmation of your request.
- You will receive an order confirmation email in your associated primary email address.
- Complete your HESI Transcripts Request Form, using the Order ID that was provided in your confirmation.
- Please note: The “Submit” button at the bottom of the form will work only with an IE browser and if you have Outlook configured on your computer. If you are using a different browser or do not have Outlook configured, you need to save the form once it’s filled out.
- Send an email to Transcripts@elsevier.com with the following attachments:
- Your completed Transcripts Request Form
- A copy of your order confirmation email