New Adventures in Learning
Learn about New Adventures in Learning, a program for Arizonans at or near retirement-age who wish to keep learning and discovering — without having to worry about homework, tests, or grades. It’s learning for learning’s sake!
How it works
The program, which is run entirely by volunteers and supported by CGCC, gives seniors access to dozens of classes every spring, summer, and fall. Topics include everything from military history and genealogy to blogging and current events. Best of all, you can take as many classes as you’d like for a low annual membership fee of $60 that goes to the NAIL organization, plus a $20 fee each semester that is collected by CGCC.
- Annual Summer - May 1 - April 30 (the following year)
- Annual Fall - August 1 - July 31 (the following year)
- Annual Spring - January 1 - December 31 (the same year)
At any point in time, only one of these Annual memberships will be available for purchase.
To become a member of New Adventures you must first become a CGCC college student. There are two ways to do this.
(1) The preferred way is to email firstname.lastname@example.org and request a New Adventures student application form.
(2) The alternate way is to call 480-857-5500 and leave a message with your name, phone number and email address and request a New Adventures student application form.
The form will be emailed to you to begin the process.
What have we learned?
Check out our Curriculum Guide for lecture series, discussion groups, hands-on courses, field trips, and more. Some classes meet only once, while others meet weekly all semester, allowing you to choose what works best for your schedule.
Learning is its own reward. But there are extra benefits
In addition to having fun, meeting new people, and keeping your mind active and healthy, being a New Adventures in Learning member makes you a CGCC student. And that means you get to take advantage of all the benefits that go along with it, including:
- Access to college services, such as the library and computer lab
- Free Microsoft Office 365 software
- Student prices at the Coyote Fitness Center
- Discount tickets at the Arnett Ward Performing Art Center
- Student admission prices for all Maricopa County Community College District’s athletic games and sports programs
- Discounts at participating area business, museums, and entertainment venues
New Adventures in Learning classes are held at the Sun Lakes Center of Chandler-Gilbert Community College located on the northeast corner of Alma School and Riggs roads.
25105 S. Alma School Rd.
Sun Lakes, AZ 85248
Hours of Operation
Academic Year (mid-August to mid-May)
Monday – Friday
8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Summer (mid-May to mid-August)
Monday – Thursday
8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Background and mission
New Adventures in Learning began in 1998 when a small group of Sun Lakes residents and Chandler-Gilbert Community College saw a need for a program for seniors who value lifelong learning. The program initially offered just a few classes, which quickly grew into a wide variety of topics. The program has grown each year since its inception, and in 2006, CGCC expanded the Sun Lakes Center to create more New Adventures classrooms. Today, the program continues to rely on its all-volunteer staff to carry out its purpose:
The mission of New Adventures in Learning is to provide a variety of interesting and educational opportunities at a reasonable cost to mature adults of the Southeast Valley.
Stay up to date with New Adventures in Learning news. Read our latest article.