How to Apply for Veterans Benefits

How to Apply for Veterans Benefits

How to get your benefits started

The CGCC Veterans Services Office is the liaison between you and the Department of Veterans Affairs. We are your go-to resource for helping you get the benefits you’ve earned.

To make it easier for you to navigate the process, we’ve prepared a Veterans Enrollment Checklist, which lists the steps you need to take to apply for GI Bill® benefits and enroll at CGCC.

If you haven’t already, be sure to read the G.I. Bill Benefit Chapters to determine which benefits you’re eligible for. Then go to the Forms and Applications page to access the paperwork you’ll need to request your benefits.



Please be aware that meeting with an academic advisor and attending the New Student Orientation is mandatory for all new students. You may also be required to take placement testing.

Academic advising is strongly recommended, but if you do not desire it this semester, you may enroll in classes and submit enrollment forms directly to Veterans Services. We will verify that your classes apply to your program of study, as required by VA.

You must finish registering for classes before submitting the necessary benefits paperwork to the CGCC Veterans Services Office. Forms page lists the forms you will need to submit.

Important: You will need to submit a new Request for Benefits Form form each semester you wish to use your VA education benefits (after you have enrolled in your classes).

Students using GI Bill benefits may be eligible for a tuition deferment, but it is not processed automatically. To initiate the process, students will need to submit a completed Request for Benefits Form and Promissory Note (initiated by Veterans Services and routed to the student to be signed).

If you make changes to your class schedule after your benefits have been processed, it is your responsibility to let the CGCC Veterans Services Office know about them. If you do not contact our office in a timely manner, it could result in an overpayment of benefits, which you will need to repay to the VA.

Veterans with an honorable discharge, as well as veterans within three years of discharge from service and their dependents using transferred Post-9/11 benefits, are entitled under state law to petition to be reclassified as in-state residents for tuition purposes, regardless of their length of residency in Arizona. This change is NOT automatic. You must submit documentation to the Admission and Records office BEFORE the start of the term:

  1. DD-214 (Member 4 copy) showing honorable discharge
  2. Proof of intent to reside in Arizona, such an Arizona driver's license or Arizona voter registration.
  3. The Domicile Affidavit form, available from Admission and Records
  4. Proof of lawful presence must also be submitted to Admissions and Records to receive in-state tuition.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site.