Transfer to Another School

How to transfer

For immigration purposes, you are considered a transfer student when you leave one U.S. institution of higher learning to attend another, either before or after earning a degree. Please note that this does not refer to the transfer of academic credits.

You are eligible to transfer if:

  1. You are admitted to the new school, and have submitted all necessary documents to Chandler-Gilbert Community College
  2. You have maintained your F-1 status
  3. The new program begins within five months of the end of your course of study at CGCC, or the end of your authorized Optional Practical Training (OPT) period.

You must request your transfer no later than the end of your 60-day grace period following your completion of study or practical training; otherwise, you’re considered "out of status," and may have to apply for reinstatement. For F-1 students, the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record has to be transferred within the 60-day grace period, as well.

Maintaining your lawful status

To remain eligible for transfer, you must meet the following legal status requirements:

  1. Maintain full-time status every semester
  2. Make normal progress towards completing your program of study
  3. Not engage in unauthorized employment
  4. Not receive a notification of deportation
  5. Submit a completed Transfer SEVIS Release form
  6. Submit a SEVIS Transfer Request form from the transfer school

Plan ahead

You will need to decide which university you want to transfer to before your last semester ends at CGCC. We need to submit a transfer date and school name into SEVIS before the other school can issue you an I-20. Please make sure you begin transfer procedures at least one semester before your desired transfer semester, if not sooner. Most professional programs have application deadlines, so be sure you begin the process on time. Please check with the transfer university for more information.

The transfer process

Follow these procedures:

  1. Submit a completed Transfer Out SEVIS Release from, available from CGCC’s International Education Program (IEP) office
  2. Apply through the Admissions Office at the new school
  3. Get a Transfer In or Transfer Eligibility form from the new school
  4. Submit the International student transfer form to CGCC's IEP office
  5. The IEP staff enters the transfer request into SEVIS, and sets the SEVIS release date

The SEVIS release date is the date when your nonimmigrant record will be entered into SEVIS. It should be determined according to your circumstances and needs. You will not be eligible to transfer unless you are released on SEVIS, which happens after all the documentation has been submitted and all requirements have been met.